Saturday, January 12, 2013

Greeting the new year in Picton


So how does one celebrates new year's in the southern hemisphere? 
For me, it was strolling barefoot along the beach to the light of the last sunset of the year. 
Eating Potato wedges and listening to unknown but passably good band with a group of Germans. 
Drinking bubbly Rose  and munching on apples with honey on the stairs while watching fireworks over the water. 

Small, calm and charming. 
Unfortunately, I forgot my camera and couldn't take any photos. I was staying in Blenheim at the time which is the capital of Boring. So me and a new found friend decided to hitchhike to Picton for New Years. I just came out from the shower when she called me that a group from her hostel is driving to Picton and that they'll pick me up from the train station in 15 mins. Well in my hurry I forgot my camera, being focused as I was not to forgot other essential stuff like paper cups for the wine (very classy).
Fortunately Polina brought her camera and the photos on this post are hers. 
Used with permission.







2 comments:

  1. I see, that you ran out of film before the New Year's fireworks...
    Where the hell is Picton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very North of the south island. Between Blenheim (where I am and all the sauvignon blanc vineyards and Nelson where its always sunny and warm even in winter). Picton is where you take the ferry between the two islands.
      You'd think that being such an important place would make bigger, but nope it's pretty tiny.

      The fireworks I seen at Whitianga on the 5th of November where better...

      The Wellington peeps weren't so lucky this new years - the fireworks got cancelled for them due to extreme winds.

      Delete

Tongariro Alpine Crossing

Just when I decide it's a good time to do Tongariro Crossing, the mountain has a small tantrum and throws some rocks around. The res...