Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Greymouth: First impressions and staying there a while

Greymouth is a small town as small towns go, a village really.

The hostel where I stay for a while is called Noah's Ark. Located about 2 minutes from the town's centre and about 2 minutes away from the King Park walkway, it's an ideal location.
Though the animal decor in the rooms is not the height of sophistication, it is a charming place to stay, clean, and has it's perks.

So what does one do in a small town when one is so stay here a while?
Luckily, I have stayed with some pretty cool people so I had a good time in what otherwise is a real sleepy town.

First of all - the hostel. In the backyard there are hammocks. I've been blessed to have good sunny weather the majority of the time I stayed here. Afternoon naps under the warm sun are pleasant, but they also make you feel like you moved into semi-retirement.

Next I went fishing. There is a nice elevated platform that juts out to the ocean from where you can fish, and from where we also watched some amazing sunsets and even spotted a seal! When it is windy the waves crash in a pretty dramatic way and make for a really cool sunset experience.

There were bike paths.

There were also BBQs and Marshmallow parties in the backyard.

The evenings were spent playing Scrabble, Articulate and pictionary with mostly German guests.

Overall yeah, I am glad I stayed here a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tongariro Alpine Crossing

Just when I decide it's a good time to do Tongariro Crossing, the mountain has a small tantrum and throws some rocks around. The res...