Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Christchurch: First impressions.

Taking the bus from the airaport to the hostel, my first impression is that the city is really green, everything is flowering and very clean (as opposed to, say, Montreal).

My second impression is that the city is actually a suburban town. It's not very large and there are no real high rises. To be fair, according to the locals there is not much of Christchurch left. Even so, going by the demolition sites I can still imagine the city that once was and I tell you - Christchurch is still very beautiful, but even with the would be buildings it still wasn't a very large city.

Getting around is tricky, as the entirety of the city centre is closed, and a lot of the historical buildings are either down or supported by steel beams.

Dominating the city south there is a prominent mountain, which made it really easy to orient myself in the city since day one (I just remembered where the mountain is in relation to the hostel and off I went to explore in an unfamiliar land with no map, sleepwalking with jetlag through a foreign city).


For budget travelers like me, this city was very budget friendly as both the botanical gardens and the museum were free (well, to be honest the museum was with suggested donation).
Another discovery made about NZ - the WiFi here is so damn pricey. At the hostel I got a voucher for 50 MB free, which is apparantly standard practice whenever hostels say they have free WiFi. To buy more, depends on your data usage - and let's admit if you are browsing a photo heavy blog is going to be a lot is pricey.

Luckily the library came to the rescue as it offers free WiFi. You would think this is obvious but when I said "why not go to the library" to fellow distraught backpackers they were "oh wow, didn't think of the obvious idea". So there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tongariro Alpine Crossing

Just when I decide it's a good time to do Tongariro Crossing, the mountain has a small tantrum and throws some rocks around. The res...